Day 21 - 7/30/13 - Frankfurt

OK, she talked me into it, 10 years ago today it was my birthday, at an Italian Festival in Germany, and I get the cover photo. As we wind our way back to the US, we spent the morning in Munich enjoying a large park with quality family time tossing the frisbee, watching the surfers on the Eisbach River, and walking the town. Next, we take the train about 4 hours to the financial powerhouse of Frankfurt where we happen across the Italian Festival.

Interesting view from the balcony, a bit industrial but very efficient.

These two shots fit together nicely, without using PhotoShop.

Rental funky exercise somethings.

Surfing the Eisbach in Munich, Who Knew?

Swimming in the Eisbach is not technically allowed, but as the rule is not stringently enforced, swimmers are common, especially on warm summer days. However, swimming in the cold, fast stream is dangerous: Between 2007 and 2017, eight people drowned in the Eisbach.

These were talented surfers. With such a nice and consistent wave, and the opportunity to try and try again, this guy tried and tried again!

As a family, we always travel with a Frisbee, and both the kids are awesome!

At its warmest, the water gets up to 15 degrees Celsius or 59 degrees Fahrenheit.

Lectures +
workshops
against
monitoring

Sorry, we are just a bunch of foodies.

St. Peter’s Church in Munich

Munich to Frankfurt

The train from Munich to Frankfurt is 3 hours 45 minutes. Along the way, we go through Nuremberg. Alternatively, we could go through Stuttgart, Heidelberg, and Mannheim. We stopped in a couple of those cities 33 years ago when we had our honeymoon in Germany. I remember having a lot of fun trekking around the Heidelberg Castle.

Frankfurt is home to the European Central Bank. We went inside one of the main buildings, but it was getting later in the day and not much was going on.

Nearby was the Commerzbank AG. In addition to the EU Central Bank, Frankfurt is home to 60 large commercial banks.

We kept exploring, looking for fun and food, and we found it, an Italian Festival in Frankfurt.

Italian Festival in Frankfurt

DSC_7027-MOTION

A moment please, to recognize the passing of an old friend

How perfect was that, on the last day of our grand European family tour my Teva sandals finally gave up. These sandals have hiked all over Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, California (Yosemite, twice), and much much more. They had been glued and epoxied, and that could have been done again, but the soles were shot, nothing lasts forever, and unfortunately, this vacation has come to an end.

We will leave you two links, one a daily schedule of the trip and the second, our travel FAQ. With that, Happy Travels, Au revoir, Arrivederci, and Auf Wiedersehen!

European Trip Daily Schedule
European Travel FAQ

One of the last things we spent money on before boat the plane for home.