Day 12 - 7/21/13 - Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Vienna

Vienna, for me, is synonymous with music, particularly Mozart and chamber music. During our initial visit, we found a gem in the form of Roman Ruins, mingled with old European charm. We loved it so much that we brought our parents a decade later, and our children another decade after. We even enjoyed Turkish cuisine there.

Vienna And The Ottoman Empire

Vienna played a significant role in the Ottoman Empire’s expansion efforts into Europe. The city was a strategic target due to its control over the Danube and the overland trade routes to Germany and the Eastern Mediterranean. The most significant event was the Battle of Vienna in 1683, where the city was besieged by the Ottoman Empire for two months. The battle was fought by the Holy Roman Empire and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth against the Ottomans. The defeat of the Ottomans is often seen as a turning point for Ottoman expansion into Europe, after which they would gain no further ground. In the ensuing war that lasted until 1699, the Ottomans would cede most of Hungary to the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I. The battle is also noted for including the largest known cavalry charge in history.

1. Ottoman–Habsburg wars
  2. Battle of Vienna
  3. Polish–Ottoman War

Haydn, Mozart & Music

Let’s Go Find Motzart!

Mozart’s apartment in Vienna, where he lived from 1784 to 1787, is located at Domgasse 5. This apartment, known as the “Figarohaus” because Mozart composed “The Marriage of Figaro” here, is now a museum dedicated to his life and work.

What I’m trying to say is that it’s situated right in the heart of Vienna, in a rather unassuming building. Despite its nondescript exterior, it’s remarkable to think about the incredible music that was composed within those walls.

We the parents had been through the museum twice before, so this time our offspring (both musically trained) went through the Mozart tour, while we found a cafe.

The Mozart apartment is located on the edge of a rather eclectic neighborhood. I’m thinking this was the Internet cafe where Matt had a remote business meeting and we reluctantly re-connected with world affairs, before continuing our tour.

It was a little dark in the Church of Mariahilf and most of the pictures I took do not give justice to the beautiful place, but I did get a nice shot of this Angel playing Violin.

Wide streets are overrated, who needs them?

It was a long day with the 6-hour train ride, we had a short tour around our hotel and Mozart’s apartment, and a Turkish dinner. Tomorrow we are off to the Vienna Technical Museum where we show our geek side.

Traveling to Vienna was special for us during our Honeymoon and we were doubly excited to share Vienna with it’s rich musical history with Keira and Kenny. The tour of Mozart’s Apartment was a must but Keira and Kenny took the tour without us because we had seen it before. I do remember sitting at a cafe table… with a map… plotting our next few hours.

St. Stephen’s Cathedral

Before the internet, this is how we did travel planning. These things are from our trip with Lynne and Tony when we were still newly weds. We used a Cosmos tour for the first half of the trip and then left the tour in Rome to join my Grandfather, Cesidio Salce. He had recently lost his wife Frances and was traveling solo. He made arrangements for us all to travel by car to his origin town of Tocco, which you see later. I see my Dad’s handwriting on the the days of the tour brochure and his $ symbol for a restaurant in Vienna. The pink stuff is shockingly scratchy toilet paper. I kept a few squares to remember the experience.